3 new cases reported and 9 discharged today
PUTRAJAYA June 23: No new Covid-19 related deaths were reported by the health ministry today, with the death toll remaining at 121.
Three new cases were reported, pushing the total number of infected patients nationwide so far to 8,590, with 283 active cases.
In a statement, health director-general Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said three patients are being treated in the intensive care unit (ICU) with none requiring respiratory assistance.
He said nine patients have recovered, bringing the total number of patients discharged so far to 8,186, or 95.3% of total cases.
The three new cases were local transmissions involving one foreigner from the Pedas cluster in Negeri Sembilan, and a Malaysian and a foreigner from the MDR cluster in Sabah.
The first case from the MDR (short for mati di rumah or died at home) cluster was a 96-year-old Malaysian who died at her home on June 12. She was screened upon arrival at Hospital Queen Elizabeth and tested positive.
Close contact screenings found that two health workers from the hospital were also positive.
The new cases from the MDR cluster are family members of a positive patient.
Noor Hisham also said the Kuching church conference cluster has officially ended after completing its 28-day monitoring period with no new cases reported.
The cluster had been detected before the movement control order on March 15, with 191 positive cases and three deaths reported from this cluster.
“This cluster involved five generations (of infections) in various areas in Sarawak,” he said.